Saturday 18 April 2009

Conversation In A Coffee Shop

Well, I've just got back from a writing workshop this afternoon and felt inspired to share my musings. We were set a task to incorporate dialogue so let's listen in on a conversation between Kirby Muxloe and Graham Partridge:


"Hey Graham, how's it going?"
Graham put down his coffee and looked up to see his old friend Kirby standing enthusiastically by the side of the table.

"Great, why don't you join me?"

As Kirby pulled up his chair he noticed a colourful book on the coffee table which Graham had surreptitiously closed when he saw him.


"What's that you're reading?"
"Oh this, it's a wacky book about change by a new author, Ro Gorell, I'd heard about.


Graham picked up the book and looked at the back cover to see a photo of the author smiling up at them.
"It's a bit of a strange book because it's written like a parable. The Ninja Change Agent goes on a journey to discover how to come to terms with a massive change in their life."

Kirby gave Graham a quizzical look as if there was a question hanging in the air. Graham carried on pretending not to notice.
"It's a fascinating book because it's really about exploring what change means for us all and how we basically were created for change."


At that moment a strange silence fell like a vase on a marble floor. Kirby wanted to know more but wasn't sure he was up for a deep and meaningful conversation in Starbucks.

"So what did you like about it?" (Stick to a safe question thought Kirby)

"I liked the fact that it's chatty. Its not like other business books - it actually feels like the author is talking to you from the page"


Kirby moved the conversation safely on.
"Oh, and why do you like that then?"

"It just makes me feel like they're talking to me personally and not some faceless reader. I could also really identify with what the Change Agent goes through. So, it was almost like my own journey."


Kirby knew his friend of old and felt that the conversation was once again veering towards the deep and meaningful.
"So, what have you been up to?"


Graham sensed that his friend wasn't yet ready to explore his own journey of change so he went with the flow.
"Yeah, been working pretty hard lately. Lots going on at work and the family's really taken a back seat."


Graham sipped his coffee in a distracted kind of way and Kirby knew that there was something more than Graham was letting on. The distant look in his eyes told Kirby that his friend's interest in the book was more personal than professional.

" So come on mate, tell me why you're really sitting here reading this book."


"Well as I said, things have been pretty manic at work. We're under pressure to perform and they're introducing lots of new things and...."
Kirby instinctively knew what was coming next - he guessed that Graham was feeling uncomfortable about some of the new things that were unfamiliar like technology. He'd never been known for his technical skills and this was what Kirby suspected was behind Graham's sudden interest in Change.
"Yeah, it's been pretty scary. I've been trying to keep up with things and then suddenly it hit me. I can't cope with change. It feels uncomfortable. " Whilst he was speaking Graham was absentmindedly playing with the book and opened it to a page on Ninja Skills to Deal with the Terrors of Change.
"You see at this page it's describing me. I feel afraid of saying 'I don't know something' because I know I'm meant to know"
Kirby observed his friend struggling with his emotions. He shrugged his shoulders,
"It's OK mate. None of us really knows everything. I feel the same way too sometimes. You just have to let go."
Smiling widely Graham appreciated his friend's candour and nodding said:
"Yes, that's exactly what this book is about. To be a Ninja Change Agent I need to learn how to let go and feel the force."
Both men smiled at each other, Kirby cuffed Graham on the shoulder as he stood up:
"Another latte mate?"
"No, I think I'll try out my Ninja skills and go for something different. Let's push the boat out and go for a double shot herb tea with cinnamon and cream topping."
Copyright Ro Gorell 2009

1 comment:

Kate Burton said...

I'm impressed. You were really writing not just munching home-made cake in my kitchen.