Friday 30 May 2008

So what is all the fuss about being passionate in business?

So many people these days talk about being passionate about their business. It got me thinking about all the people I've met and what passion in business actually means.

I guess that passion is really about getting excited and motivated by something, whether it's an idea, product or organisation.

Have you ever wondered what happens when people become so passionate about this stuff that it goes over the edge?


I've noticed that when people get really excited and motivated they tend to lose sight and sense of what's going on around them. For the people left in their wake it can sometimes feel like they've been run over by a steam roller. Because passion in extreme can be perceived as aggression.

And that got me thinking about what follows from passion: compassion. Being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

People in business who are both passionate and compassionate are usually able to get people to follow them. Leadership without compassion might mean that followers respect their leader but don't necessarily like them. In his book on Influence - The Psychology of Persuasion Robert Cialidini talks about the importance of liking. If followers don't like their leader then they are less likely to be influenced by them. I'm sure you've heard the well known phrase "I respect your point of view BUT.."

So my view on all the fuss about passion is that it has to have it's sister Compassion alongside as well if people are to respect and like you in business.

No comments: